52 Ancestors 2018 Week #4

Invite to Dinner

There are many ancestors I wouldn't mind inviting to dinner, if nothing else but to interrogate them about their lives and family. One such ancestor is my 4x great-grandmother Elizabeth Hughes.

Some things I want to know- Where were you born? Who were your parents? Why did you come to America? Why did you marry a man 27 years older than you with 6 kids, and then have 11 more? What was it like to raise so many children? Why did you never remarry? Did you like Ohio? Did you have other family nearby?

She is one of my 'brick wall' ancestors. I know she was born in Ireland around 1827, but have no idea who any of her other family members are. There are a few Hughes' that I have found in the census that lived near her in Ohio, but I have not yet found any connection between them, so I can't say for sure they are related. With all these unanswered questions, I'd definitely invite her to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment