52 Ancestors Week 9 - Alice Elizabeth Tavernier

This week's theme is "Close to Home". I chose to write about my great grandma Alice because she is the only great grandparent I actually remember meeting in real life. I'm told I met some others at family reunions when I was 1-3 years old, but I don't remember them. Her funeral is the first funeral I remember going to. She lived in a nearby town to where I grew up and I saw her several times a year.

She was born August 31, 1903 in McDonald, Pennsylvania. Her parents had immigrated in 1901 from Belgium along with her sister Renee. She was named Alice Elizabeth Tavernier (some paperwork shows her as Elizabeth Alice); Alice was also the name of her older sister that had died at 7 months old. Her mother died in 1910, when she was just 7 years old.

On November 19, 1924 she married Raymond Earl Turner in Wierton West Virginia. They lived in Ohio for a few years, then West Virginia for several years before moving back to Pennsylvania. They had 4 boys.
Raymond and Alice Turner (far left) at Merle's Wedding

After the death of her husband she moved to San Bernardino California to be closer to her children, living with her oldest when she died. She died June 24, 1993.

*****
Parents:
Charles Louis Tavernier (Jr) (1869-1919)
Rosalie Balieu (1874-1910)

Siblings:
Rene Tavernier (1898-?)
Alice Tavernier (1899-1900)

Spouse:
Raymond Earl Turner (1898-1979)

Children:
Louis Francis Turner (living)
Merle Edward Turner (1928-2005)
Arthur Lawrence Turner (1930-2010)
William Earl Turner (living)

No comments:

Post a Comment