52 Ancestors Wk 5 - Magda Schmidt

The theme this week is 'plowing through'. I have lots of farmers to talk about, but instead I'm going a different direction. Back when I started doing genealogy, my father gave me his gedcom file. I don't know if much got lost in the transfer, but it wasn't sourced. At the time I didn't think about it. I know my father does good work, and has stacks of papers and sources.
But, as I've gotten better at my own research, I want the sources. Particularly since starting the genealogy do-over (which I am doing more of a 'go-over', but still). I am going back one generation at a time, direct ancestors only, sourcing all the info I have listed. Instead of just 'plowing through' the info I was given, I am actually double checking and sourcing everything.
And this brings me to Magda Schmidt, my great-great-grandmother. The info I was given included her immigrating from Fehmarn, Germany in 1881, and being married in 1888 in St Louis. After looking for a while in St Louis and the surrounding areas, I stopped and rethought the situation. Since she and her husband made their home in Colorado, and I have found them on the censuses there, why not look there for their marriage. Also, try looking for her name, instead of her husband's. I found Magda E Schmidt marrying D H Hasemeyer in Pueblo, Colorado in 1889!
But it doesn't give much information other than that. In particular, all the censuses and other records only indicate she was born in Germany, nothing more specific. With a tentative date of 1881 (as listed on a census record) I searched for her family coming to America. I found on Ancestry, the Hamburg Passenger lists for 1850-1934. And there was (most of) her family in Oct 1881, traveling from Hamburg to New York. I was ale to find their New York Arrival as well. The family, except for the oldest 2 daughters, are listed as coming from Lemkendorf, Fehmarn.  The older daughters traveled together to America just over a year later, listed as coming from Reinbeck, Fehmarn. So, now I have that information verified.
I hope in the near future to continue to find information about this family. Especially going back into Germany. So, I continue to plow on.



***********
Magda (Sophia?) Elizabeth Schmidt (1865-1949)

Parents:
Fritz Schmidt (1839-1919)
Margaretha Treimar (1838-1910) [surname also found spelled: Trimer, Trinar, and Trimar]

Siblings:
Margareta Schmidt (1862-1916)
Christina Amelia Schmidt (1863-1922)
Henrietta Deserie Schmidt (1867-?)
Fritz Emil Schmidt (1868-1939)
Mary Gertrude Schmidt (1869-1952)
Adolph Carl Schmidt (1870-?)
Henry Schmidt (1874-1874)
Agnes Henrietta Schmidt (1875-1944)

Spouse:
Dietrich Henry Hasemeyer (1859-1925)

Children:
Flora Sophia Maggie Hasemeyer (1889-1991) Yup, my great grandma was 102 when she died!
Mabel Wilhemina Etta Hasemeyer (1890-1982)
Clyde Frederick Henry Hasemeyer (1893-1986)
Elmer August Hasemeyer (1894-1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment